NeRuDO, in agreement with Canadian Cooperation Office, started its 2nd project “Rural Development and Community Irrigation” project in Lapsiphedi VDC Ward no.2, Kathmandu District in 1995, with components like irrigation, 1.5 Km long canal rehabilitation, sanitation, drinking water and income generating programs for women.
Detail of project activities:
- Rehabilitation of 1.5 km long irrigation canal to irrigate 151 Ropani of terraced land alongside with construction of its headwork (intake). The work included canal clearance, cement work and landslide protection measures like Gabion wire cage stone filling.
- Organized one male and one female group in the village
- Initiated a small livestock rearing activity for women group as income raising program
- Construction of 21 pit latrines
- Construction of drainage around few farmers house for creating better sanitation facilities and provided drinking water facilities to seven households in the project area
- Initiated construction of compost pit for organic manure
- Forestation activities in the village wasteland and in the irrigation canal trail to protect land in the village.
- Group orientation on health, sanitation, livestock management and environmental awareness training completed.
- Introduction of smokeless stoves in the project area.
The project is running in full participation of project beneficiaries. NeRuDO hopes for a self-reliant farmers’ self-help group comprising of both male and female members of the project area.